One of my many New Year’s Resolutions was to become more frugal. We have gone from two salaries providing for two people to one salary providing for three people, looking at our depleted savings this doesn’t seem to have fully registered with us, until now. My biggest weakness is buying for Lizzie. I convince myself that she will enjoy her play more with this new toy, or that she will love this new book or that bedtimes will be easier with this new pair of pajamas.I need to control these urges and my hope is that by keeping a weekly record of what I have bought for Lizzie I will be mindful of what I am spending. The other aim is to motivate me to make some homemade toys and clothes. I love crochet and sewing, but have lost my motivation recently, but I am determined to use up all the yarn and fabric that I have.
I am going to split these posts into three sections:
- What have I bought this week for Lizzie – hopefully this section will be very brief.
- What have I have made or am in the process of making this week.
- Reviewing previous makes and purchases – were they worth the time, effort or money?
So on to this week’s Frugal Friday, well I think this one is more of a not-so-frugal Friday!
What have I bought for Lizzie this week?
- Three vests from JoJo Maman Bebe – I think these were a necessary purchase, her old vests are tight, it is freezing cold here and these are good quality, and most importantly Lizzie likes them – no photo as they have all been worn and are in the wash.
- A pair of mittens, again from JoJo Maman Bebe – definite necessity, Michael lost her other pair. These seem very nice and Lizzie enjoys wearing them.
- Usborne’s Noisy Dinosaurs book – Lizzie has become very interested in dinosaurs and this was the only dinosaur book I could find in our local bookshop.
I am still on the lookout for a toddler friendly story book with dinosaur characters, any recommendations?
What have I made for Lizzie this week?
- Knowing I was going to write this post prompted me to dust off my crochet hooks and start a new project. I have decided to make a doll’s blanket, using popcorn granny squares. I have made 2 squares so far, hopefully I will have more to show next week.
2. Coloured rice – I dyed some rice with food colouring with a view to Lizzie using them in her art next week.
Review – as this is the first post in this series, I am going to review one of Lizzie’s Christmas presents, a sorting pie.
Currently we just use it for colour sorting and practicing turn taking, but I have a few other ideas for how to use this toy. I love that this toy is so flexible and you can use it in so many ways: colour sorting, shape sorting, pattern building and counting. I have a plan for a few homemade additions that I think will really support Lizzie’s development of number sense.
Have a lovely weekend. I have another series of posts planned for Mondays: Mathematical Mondays. I love alliteration!